A well-balanced, low-carb dinner
Stuck for ideas on what to make for dinner? If you are trying to lose weight, it is best to stay away from complex carbs at night and choose meals higher in protein, good fats and non-starchy veg.
It is also really important to remember that the best way to regulate your portions is by sticking to 'the rule of palm'. 1 palm sized portion of protein, 1 hand sized portion of non-starchy veg, and a 4 finger portion of complex carbs.
Tonight I made this quick and easy dinner, taking all the above into consideration, leaving out the complex carbs.
Stuffed Chicken Breast served with pesto courgetti spaghetti, a side salad and mushrooms
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 free-range chicken breasts
- 2 back-bacon rashers
- 2 small slices of cheese (I used provolone)
- 2 sprigs rosemary (or thyme)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 head of lettuce
- x6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 200g mushrooms
- 2 large courgettes
- 1 tablespoon pesto
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Crush and finely chop the garlic. Place 1 teaspoon of butter in a pan and add the garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes and then remove form the heat.
3. Rub the garlic butter mixture on the chicken breasts. Stuff the breast with a small piece of cheese and a rosemary sprig. Wrap each breast in 1 slice of back-bacon.
4. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
5. In the meantime, chop up the mushrooms and eat up the other teaspoon on butter. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes. Turn them over once half way through cooking. Don’t overcrowd the mushrooms. Set aside.
6. Make the salad by tearing up the lettuce and quartering the tomatoes. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
7. Spiralise the courgettes, place in a non-stick pan and cook for 4 minutes. Add the pesto and cook for a further minute or two till they are just soft without being soggy.
And there you have it, a heathy and nutritious dinner in 30 minutes. Enjoy!