Healthy alternatives to comfort food classics
Instead of banning yourself from eating some of your favourite dishes, try modifying recipes to use healthier ingredients instead.
Like this indulgent gnocchi dish - I have supplemented plain flour for whole spelt flour and cream with creme fresh. It is not the most nutritionally dense or lowest calories dish, but a great recipe for a treat.
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the Gnocchi:
- 500g ricotta (I used sheep’s milk ricotta due to its higher protein content)
- 80g parmesan cheese
- 125g spelt flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
For the Sauce:
- 125ml crème fresh
- 125 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves (chopped)
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- 2 tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan to serve
1. Place all the gnocchi ingredients into a food processor and process for a few minutes until all the ingredients are combined and you a left with a slightly sticky dough.
2. With flour coated hands roll the gnocchi into oval shapes the size of a walnut. Place on a floured surface.
3. Drop the gnocchi in slightly salted boiling water and cook for around 2 minutes and 30 seconds, or until the gnocchi float up to the surface. Do this in batches and ensure the water does not stop boiling.
4. Scoop out the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel.
5. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small pan using only half the chicken stock. Add the remaining stock gradually until you achieve a thick sauce consistency. Stir in the parsley.
6. Pour the sauce over the gnocchi and sprinkle with grated parmesan.
This dish can also be served with a variety of different sauces – tomato sauce or pesto will both work very well.
Serve with a piece of grilled chicken or fish to increase the protein content and a size of vegetables.